It’s the most wonderful time of the year! However, it may not be the “most wonderful time” for your child’s teeth if they are loading up on candy, cookies and other sweets this month. With the abundance of candy canes available in stores and the convenience of ready-made cookie gift baskets, it’s easy to be tempted to pick up sweets for the people on your holiday gift list. Don’t give in – your loved ones will have more than enough opportunities to taste holiday sweets this season.
For a healthier holiday season, choose non-candy gifts from the list below for all the kids on Santa’s “nice list”.
- Fun toothbrushes with well-known characters on them
- Themed stickers and temporary tattoos
- Mini Play-Doh or Silly Putty
- Art supplies
- Matchbox cars
- Action figures, dolls, or small stuffed animals
- Pocket toys and games, such as Yo-Yos, bouncy balls, slinkies, spinning tops, Kaleidoscopes, and Rubik’s Cubes
- Coloring sheets- printed for free from websites such as MouthHealthy.org
The following suggestions apply to adults as well.
- Scarves, hats, and gloves
- Holiday themed accessories like necklaces, earrings, rings and hair-ties
- Holiday socks
- Reindeer antlers
- Lift tickets to area ski resorts
- Show tickets, movie tickets, or activity passes
- Cool sunglasses
- Arcade tokens
- Picture frames
- Magazine subscriptions
- Small books
- Gift cards
Don’t forget – Santa and Mrs. Claus will be at Pediatric Dentistry of Glens Falls all week. Book an appointment to have your child’s picture taken with them. Happy Holidays from the PDGF family!